Photo by Drew Shonka
Gardens of Eagan Bids Farewell
After 7 years of owning and operating Gardens of Eagan, the Wedge Co-op has harvested its last crops. We are very proud of the accomplishments of our farm manager and employees and truly appreciate the support of our customers and the community.
Many wonderful things have come from owning this land, including:
- Protecting 116 acres of farmland, transitioning it to certified organic land through a three-year investment in soil restoration and environmental enhancements such as shelter belts and improved wetland management.
- Enrollment in the Dakota County Land Conservation Program, which was helped preserve a total of 7,341 acres in agriculture easements. This means the land will remain in agricultural production in perpetuity.
- Providing hundreds of meaningful, educational experiences through tours and volunteer activities.
- Providing seasonal employment to many interested in organic farming.
- Supporting four new, successful farm businesses through the farm incubator program.
- Helping foster and grow a stronger organic farming community through participation in farmer peer mentoring and resource sharing.
- Training fellow organic farmers in production methods through the support of a Sustainable Ag Research and Education grant, allowing them to break into wholesale markets with a new crop.
- Growing nearly 1 million certified organic plants for local home gardeners.
- Selling over 2 million pounds of certified organic produce, almost all of it within the metro area.
- Helping create more resilient communities by providing thousands of pounds of donated organic produce to area food pantries.
The Wedge Community Co-op continues to look for a buyer who will preserve the integrity of the land and maintain the organic practices and operations that we put into place. We have received a lot of interest from people who want to operate an organic farm in the metro area, and build on the foundation established by GOE. Ideally, the new owners will continue to maintain the farming practices we have all worked so hard to build during the past 7 years.
Any questions about the sale of Gardens of Eagan can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wedge Community Co-op